Friday, May 7, 2010

How We Met By Sherry


Brandon and I met in January 1994.I was on a first date with his roommate Eric after a BYU basketball game. We were watching a movie at his place when Brandon came home from work. Brandon and I immediately recognized that we had a few things in common as we casually talked about engineering, Philadelphia, and running track. Brandon asked me out on a date the following week because his roommate and I didn’t click. Brandon and I went to Magelby’s restaurant for dinner. He was really fun to talk to and I admired his good looks and broad shoulders. Our friendship continued to develop as we found time to run, study, and hang out. By February, I was ready to date exclusively. But, Brandon dumped me claiming he wasn’t ready for a commitment because he “hadn’t tasted all the flavors of ice cream yet.”Fine - I moved on. Brandon continued to drive by my apartment and call. But, I wasn’t there because I was dating other people. A few weeks later we went on a date to the temple and had an amazing spiritual experience. It was like the Lord was hitting us both on the head with a frying pan and saying “you are meant for one another!!” After that spiritual confirmation we both had to decide if we were ready to abandon my opportunity to attend Northwestern for graduate school and his opportunity for an internship in Japan. As we spent more time together it became very obvious that were in madly in love. So, we made a commitment to put our relationship before our interests and got married in the Portland, Oregon temple in June 1994. Sixteen years and three kids later, I can still say with absolute surety that falling in love with Brandon is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

No comments: