Friday, March 26, 2010

Kami and David – David’s point of view

I think it was September of 2004 when I got a random phone call from Sherry, who I talk to only on the phone maybe once a year. I was like, I wonder why Sherry is calling. She started with a question of “Are you dating anyone?” My answer was “Yes, I’m dating lots of people.” And I was. I was in my prime dating scene, at least 2 per week. I then asked why she wanted to know my dating life and she said “I have someone for you to go out with.” I immediately thought to myself, how would my sister who I barely talk to know a girl that I would want to go out with. So I said, “Well, tell me about this girl, why would I like her?” She said, “I don’t really know, I’ve never met her.” After that comment I just sat there like…. Uhhhh what? She then said that she was neighbors with her sister and that her sister was cute and fun. I just thought to myself, oh brother. Here I am a full dating machine meeting new girls like crazy and I’m supposed to go out with a girl that has to have her sisters neighbor set her up?

Well, I didn’t call Kami, but after about 3 weeks of Sherry nagging me to call I finally gave in just to get Sherry off my back. So I called Kami and no answer, well no there was no way I was going to leave a message. “Hi, I’m David and my sister who knows your sister told me to call… so you want to go out?” Yeah right. After another week or so I called back and talked with Kami and introduced myself and asked if I could take her out. She said yes and I asked what some of her interests were and she told me about Color Me Mine, a place to go make and paint pottery. Here I was again thinking… oh great some artsy girl, I don’t want to do that. So I said I knew the place and said I’ll set something up. We set up a time and she gave me her address.

The first date.
It was a week before Halloween and on the way over to pick up Kami I was just about there when I realized that I had forgotten my wallet at my apartment. In the hundreds of dates I had ever been on and still to this day I have only forgotten my wallet once, and it was my first date with Kami. I knocked on the door and a girl opened the door and immediately the first thought that went through my head was, “Please don’t be the roommate, please don’t be the roommate.” This girl was smoking hot. She was in this red shirt with white stripes down the shoulders and sleeves, it was very attractive. I introduced myself and she introduced herself as Kami and I was like YES! It wasn’t the roommate. So we got in the car and I admitted to her that I had forgotten my wallet for the first time ever on a date. So we headed back to my place and made out the rest of the night… JUST KIDDING! We got my wallet and headed to dinner at Red Robin, little did I know that I had onion breath the rest of the night from my tasty burger. Sorry Kami! My plan was to go ice skating with her after dinner, and if the night was going well to either hit movie or if I was having a blast to go hit a haunted house because then she’d have to hang on to me for being scared, I loved haunted houses for dating for that reason. So we went ice skating and then headed up to Salt Lake to go to a haunted house. The conversation was great the whole night was wonderful. And unlike the rest of you we did not kiss on the first date. In fact it took until December to kiss. And after we kissed I don’t think I dated anyone else really, I think maybe a couple of dates here or there. We got married a year later in December 2005.

No comments: